Did you guys know? In America alone, nearly 3 million people are suffering from Bipolar disorder. And according to some surveys it was found that at least 1 in 5 Americans is suffering from some sort of mental illness while one in every 25 people has a serious mental illness. This indicates that the everyday consequences of mental illness are felt by about 50 million people. In the United States, the long-standing taboo against discussing or receiving treatment for mental illness has been reduced significantly nowadays.
But the good news is scientists and researchers have found some groundbreaking solutions for bipolar disorder which was ongoing for many years. The global pharma company called ‘Lupin Ltd’ launched a medicine called ‘Lurasidone Hydrochloride’. This medicine brings a ray of hope to patients suffering from bipolar disorder, says the company.
So today let’s roam around and talk about mental health problems in the US and how these disorders are making people’s life miserable.
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a kind of mental health disorder. It produces abrupt changes in mood(also called mood episodes), energy, and behavior. The primary symptoms of an illness are bipolar & hypomanic episodes, and the majority of those who have it also experience depressed periods. But that doesn’t mean a person with bipolar disorder can’t lead a happy life. Proper medication, counseling, lifestyle modifications, and other therapies can help you manage the disorder.
You can simply think of it as mood swings, that a normally stable person goes through once in a lifetime. But the difference is these mood swings usually last for days rather than hours. These mood episodes can occasionally become so severe that a person risks hurting oneself or others.
About 80–90% of people with bipolar disorder have a close biological relative who is either depressed or has the illness. Stress, irregular sleep patterns, and other substance abuse can all cause mood swings in persons who are already sensitive. Although the exact brain-based origins of bipolar illness are still unknown. It is believed to be some imbalance in chemical activity in the brain.
What Are The Types Of Bipolar Disorder?
Basically, Bipolar disorder is classified into four groups;
1. Bipolar I Disorder
People with type I disorder may experience some mania episodes with depression. However, a depressive episode is not required for a diagnosis. Typically the depression may persist for 2 weeks. And if the mania episodes persist for more than seven days and the mood swings are so severe that a person requires hospitalization. They receive a bipolar I diagnosis.
2. Bipolar II Disorder
Bipolar II condition includes hypomanic and depressed periods but not the extreme kind that can impair operating normally and are unique to bipolar II disorder sufferers have at least one severe bout of depression and one hypomanic event in their lifespan. Unlike bipolar I illness, when significant depressive episodes are not necessary, bipolar II conditions often result in many episodes of severe depression.
The person with bipolar II illness is often capable of leading a regular life in between having hypomanic episodes
3. Cyclothymic Disorder
Cyclothymic disorder patients have persistent mood instability. They go through moderate depression and hypomania for a minimum of two years. Brief episodes of normal mood can occur in people with cyclothymia, although they seldom endure more than eight weeks.
4. Not Specified
If a person is suffering from a clinically severe rise of an aberrant mood, which doesn’t match the characteristics of any above-mentioned disorder then it is called unspecified bipolar disorder.
Signs And Symptoms Of Bipolar Disorder
Many times people refuse to accept that they have any mental health condition. That’s Why it becomes difficult for them to understand the signs of those disorders. But if you notice these symptoms in anyone reach out to them cause they probably need someone’s help to overcome it.
- Excessive joy, optimism, and enthusiasm.
- Mood swings that are abrupt and intense, like swinging from being happy to being furious and aggressive.
- Speaking quickly and overthinking
- Reduced the need for rest and more vitality.
- Heightened impulsivity and bad judgment, like quitting your work unexpectedly.
- Making ambitious yet impossible goals.
- Irresponsible and risky conduct, like abusing drugs or substance abuse
- Having the impression that you are especially important, clever, or strong.
- Hallucinations in severe case
Don’t Miss ThisNizagara 100
Causes Of Bipolar Disorder
As we discussed earlier, the majority of the time cases of bipolar are hereditary. But, just because a biological family has bipolar illness doesn’t imply you will inevitably have it. But still how this condition is passed on to the generation is not known.
These are some speculations scientists think serve the development of bipolar disorder.
- Brain changes: Researchers have discovered minute variations in the typical size or activity of specific brain regions in bipolar illness sufferers. Mri scans, however, are unable to identify the problem.
- Surrounding Factors: Traumatic incidents like the death of someone close, major economic issues, divorce, and major illness can also cause mental health issues.
What Medications Are Used To Treat Bipolar Disorder?
Even those who suffer from the most extreme kinds of bipolar illness might benefit from treatment. Typically, a blend of the following medications and therapies makes up a successful treatment regimen:
- Talk therapy with psychologists
- Drugs and medications like Antidepressants, antipsychotic drugs, mood stabilizers, and a newly found drug called ‘Lurasidone’.
- Self-analyzing methods like recognizing potential triggers
- Adopting positive lifestyles such as mindfulness, yoga, and healthy foods.
- Alternative treatments, such as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), may be used in situations when the medicine is ineffective or if prompt symptom management is required to avert injury.
Also Read: Brace Yourself For The 2023 Allergy Season
If you know someone who is suffering from disorder or if you are one who has it. Make sure to handle them with love and care. All they want is some support. If it is not addressed in the beginning, it might worsen and lead to suicidal thoughts in certain cases. Become aware of mental health and spread this same awareness in society.